My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Lord.....I come to You, today.....to talk about a friend that You've  allowed to be in my life.  I have this need to talk to her and tell her how I feel. Sometimes it is hard to put our feelings into words.

I remember when I met her.  She was attending the church we were newly pastoring.  She and her husband were a vital part.  They were faithful and committed.  That alone, set them apart.

There were of course, dinners at their home.....after church potlucks....desserts shared.....games and good fellowship every time we met.  One day in particular I was invited by my friend to "take a ride".  She proceeded to just drive and  talk and vent her feelings on what she was going through at the time.  I was quiet.  I am a listener, by nature, so it wasn't hard....I was just touched.  I remember thinking....."I can't believe she is telling me this! 
"Wow! She must really trust me!", I thought.  And, that particular thought......endeared her even more to me.  It's not often people tell their heart thoughts.  Very few folks ever trust anyone enough to "tell" how they feel....and believe it will stay with that person.  I was  grateful she chose me.  I have often thought....."How do I help those in need?"  After a few years I've come to the conclusion that it is not necessary for me to have "answers" to the dilemmas that folks get themselves in.  I am grateful for finding that all people need..... most of the time.....is someone to listen to them.  They don't need my "expertise" on anything.  They don't need to hear a "story" from my past to liken it to how they may feel.  All is needed is a listening ear and perhaps a shoulder to cry on.  And, perhaps, a kleenex!


I knew then...that I would also be able to trust her.  I did find that she loved me and entrusted my thoughts to her heart.  She prayed for me and with me.  When You give us what we need.....sometimes, we  don't realize it.  I have , for many years, needed a friend that I could trust.  When she and her husband moved away from us.....I knew then what a loss it was to me.  But, I knew, having her cell phone number would keep her close to me.  For us both....it would be a lifeline.  I thank You, Lord, that I had this woman to talk to. 

Her life became very hard.....very fast.  After they moved to their retirement dream home......she found herself alone, without her love, in just a very few months.  She's never been the healthiest of souls.  She's always had health issues that threatened her life.  Lord, You've given her a loving heart....although very weak.  Her resources are limited to keep her well.  Her loving daughter is beside herself trying to make the best decisions...for her survival.


How in the world do You decide when our time is done here on earth, Lord?  It is sad when we are aware that the possibility of us living much longer is coming to an end.
Some see it as relief.  Some are ill prepared.  Some need a hand to hold.  Or is it, the other way around?  I guess none of us really know how close we have come to death and have been saved through Your intervention.  You are the master of our lives.  I trust You.  And, I trust You for the woman I call my friend. 

I thank You, Lord.....for her love.  I thank You for her kindness and generous spirit.  Her laughter and beautiful smile still ring in my heart.  Give her exactly what she needs.  Help her rest in the knowledge that she is totally in Your care.....and trusts You to make the best decisions for her and those she loves so much.

You are a gracious God.  We are loved.....because of You.

All of this I pray in the name of Jesus.  Amen.  

PS.....I find I need a little extra help here......hold her close, Jesus.  Perhaps feeling a little breathless.....and, at a loss for what is happening.....Oh Lord.....hold her tight.....so there is no question.  I trust You, Jesus......to let her know, beyond a shadow of a doubt....that, YOU, dear One.....are there. Thank You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment