My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Friday, February 4, 2011

Hey, I Can't Get this Drawer Open!

Lord, I see that so many are struggling with the "daily stuff" of life. And, it's really so true for
everyone. That
little stuff; the nitty, gritty junk we all deal with is sometimes what can make us or break us. All the time we are looking at the "big" stuff that threatens to hit us and take us out....when in
reality, I find that the junk drawer that refuses to shut is often what can wreck my relationship with
You. So much has been shoved in and pushed in and finally
shut that one more thing is too much. I've had to clean out drawers like that on occasion. I get the metal pancake turner out with the long handle....shove it in upside down to
gain access to anything I can get my hands on. Hmmm....I think as I begin to pull paper's out,
and tape and pencils and pens and pliers and scissors and a D battery.....what in the world is
keeping this drawer from opening? And, then....one more thing, something essentially nondescript.....and the whole
drawer opens with ease. Lord, I find that piling one thing on top of another and another and
another makes my heart so heavy.....it hurts. As I said, nondescript things. Things you really
don't put a lot of thought time on....or if I do, at all.....it's one of those "I'll think about it later"
subjects. I know that often, these things I write to You, no one really can grasp what I am
thinking or even care, but Lord, that's why I tell You. No one understands me like You do. You
understand the junk I shove in the drawer that I don't want to deal with all the time (as I
should). You take the time to help me discern what is truly junk and what I need to keep close
at hand. This mental exercise is often so terribly tiresome. Actually, almost always it is. (tiresome, that is). Help me to not see it as something I can easily lay aside 'til I have "time"
to deal with it. Help me confront the first thing that I might be able to pull out of the drawer
without tearing it......help me to see that with Your wisdom and insight, I can make the right
choice....or have the right words....or the right attitude....or a forgiving heart that makes
that issue a problem. Throwing things in the trash can be a very enlightening experience. I,
actually like handing them to You....and You do the throwing away. That way, I feel very condemned
especially if I go digging for it again. And, You and I both know , I've had my rear-end sticking
out of a trash-can more than I'd like to admit.....thinking....."I KNOW I CAN FIX THIS.....I JUST
NEED TO TRY A LITTLE HARDER".....and drag it back out again....to my own detriment. No
one is ever going to see it like I see it. Why can't I learn that? And, You....stand by....watching
while I entertain the possibility of fixing it and shake Your head.....especially as You watch me
shove it back in the drawer.....'cause I don't want to take the time to deal with it all....again.
Lord, help me think more like You do. You had people coming at You from all walks of life.
People who had real issues to deal with. Illness. Poverty. Sadness. Brokenness. And, what I
can discern from the scriptures, You didn't put anyone on hold. You did what You had to do.
You said what You had to say. And You didn't shove anyone in a box of "Thing's I Need To Do
Later". Lord, as I go through this day, I would like to have Your empowering guidance to over
see all I do and say. The places I usually stash things? Well, keep a light blinking so I don't
forget. I've read so many devotionals and scripture this week that I'm not sure I have a favorite. I just know that You.....Who does all things well....loves me and desperately wants me
to make it to Heaven some day. I want to hear You say...."Well done....thou good and faithful
servant." That's my hope and my prayer. All that I speak...have spoken and requested....I ask
all in the name of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. So very true...it is the little things...I'm usually all armored up for the big things...Hmmmm...need to change my strategy...My junk drawer gets jammed too.

    ReplyDelete