My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cleaning Out the Closet...in my mind!

Sometimes I find myself thinking of excuses not to write, Lord. And, it sure is shameful to even say it. I hate that I am so human. I wish I were more like You. I know. I could be. If I
would really like to be.....it's all in the book. I've heard it. I've read it. I've tasted, and even seen
that You are good and I can be as close to You as I choose to be. It just takes work. And, resolve. And, real commitment. And, determination. And, it seems to me those words sort of
all mean the same thing.....spiritually speaking. I sometimes hate to write because I find myself declaring to You that , "Yes, I aim to be the best creation You want me to be." I push the
"PUBLISH POST" button and there I am claiming to work on being the best Christian I can be....and then , I get up and go start the wash.....or walk a couple miles with some friends....or
start that load of clothes thats growing everyday......and sort of forget about my "plan" to grow
closer to You. Not that I mean to, Lord. I just sort of fall off my spiritual perch and walk into
the areas of our home that need attention like cleaning, cooking, washing, dieting, sorting out, complaining, cleaning, cooking, washing, dieting, sorting out
and on and on and on. My halo constantly needs adjusting. Especially when I'm trying to look
for a second shoe or a lost shoulder pad at the bottom of the closet. Yes, my aim is to be all I
can be for You. And yes, now it's out....I still wear shoulder pads. (This too shall pass...when I get thinner....). And, I'm still trying to decide what project to tackle first. Spring is around the corner. And, I've got to plan something for the LADIES at church.....And,
Mary expects me to have something "worthwhile" to say at the Oasis in a few weeks. How can
I talk about cleaning out and clearing the schedule when everything is all mucked up in my
mind? I looked out the window the other day when we were driving and I saw a part of winter
that is so depressing. I looked at the disarray in the woods and areas of brush along the highways. The broken and dead trees and brush. Gnarled branches filled with dead vines and
foliage. It was so messy.....and nasty looking. Unkempt. Even the yards of homes we passed
were unattractive. And....then, Lord.....I thought about how so soon the little green buds would
appear....and before too long, the vines, the gnarled branches, and not so pretty trees would be
in bloom with beautiful green leaves and gorgeous foliage. The same mess....just covered up.
I thought about our hearts, Lord. I think it's so much better when I find a way to get into the
closet of my mind, and start digging out the lost shoe, a missing sock, that elusive shoulder
pad, and finally the dust balls.....and make that area a nice clear place to think and preserve the
real desires of my heart. Memorizing scripture has become important to me.....even if I can't
remember all of the "King James" wording and references....I like being able to rattle off a few
verses here and there without having to "look it up" all the time. The older I get, the more
important this seems to be to me. Hiding Your word in my heart is a goal for me to accomplish.
Atleast one more verse than I knew yesterday, is a good goal.....even if that is all I can manage.
Lord, grant me as much of Your favor as I can have today. The areas that are too numerous
to think on right now.....bring them to me another day. All I ask is that Your name and glory
would be in every area I request. Thank You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Christy Davis DivenMarch 19, 2011 at 5:04 AM

    I love how you keep it real, Corrine. Any one of us can totally relate to this..except looking for that shoulder pad..haha! Beautifully written as always!

    ReplyDelete