My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Sunday, October 21, 2012

It amazes me, Father.....that You are my friend.  The actual conversations we have are pretty one-sided.  I tell You what I need; what bothers me; what I really want;  my innermost angst, confessions of my soul.....just to name a few.....and You have this way of nodding.....listening.....probing.....and  suggesting.  It is almost indescribable.  In actual fact, it is indescribable.  At Praise Team practice, I pulled out this song and I'd forgotten how it went, it had been so long since I played it.  "Indescribable, uncontainable!  You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name!"  It is a "keeper" song.  We have to do it soon.  "You are amazing, God!" is a line at the end.  And, it's true.  I call on You at any time of the day.....sometimes in a not-very-good-frame of mind......and, there You are, just waiting for me to finally tell You what is on my heart.  My heart thoughts.  Not everyone has the patience or the time to listen......I tend to go off on tangents.....lengthening my prayer to You.  I, of course, think it's important to give You the "back-story" or explain in words I am sure will help You understand me better (!) knowing full well, You know me best!  I just can see You roll Your eyes a bit....maybe even smile.....and, then....maybe not. 

I remember some thirty-some years ago standing in the kitchen, talking on the phone to a parishioner.
She'd called to ask my advice.  Remember her, Lord?  I listened as she described her feelings about wanting to wear her wedding ring after 50 plus years of marriage.  She couldn't wear it when she married because of the "church rules".   She talked....and I mostly listened as she laid out the whole story.  My heart went out to her.  Even now, as I remember the conversation, I still feel the same.  I
suggested she pray and seek God's voice to her and go with her instinct to wear that sacred piece of memorabilia.  She was atleast the age I am now, Lord.  Men have made rules for years.....following what they feel is Your edict to us.  And, men preached all of that from the pulpit.  Confusing the mere desire of wearing an outward expression of our love and devotion to someone......to falling into the pit of Hell for being an instrument of rebellion. I remember thinking....."Why is she asking me?
What do I know?  Why after all these years of being a Christian, is she struggling with this?  And, now.....of course, I know.  He, (satan) never stops.  He will always integrate himself into our lives.  Confusing and deceiving us.  (Help me, Jesus!)   Lord Jesus, I hope and pray that the fact that an unforgiving heart......an un-bended spiritual knee......a critical tongue......all play a part in the real message of a confessed sin and committed heart.  I truly believe the crux of our faith falls there.

Jesus, I just want to thank You for helping me see what is truly important.  Atleast in the areas of
my life that need correcting and changing.  I will obey Your plea to me that I pay attention to the places that displease You.  I will forfeit my desire to bully my opinion of what I think Your Word says.  What it says to me........is not necessarily what it says to another.  Help me not to forget that.
Help me to remember  what the picture says to me.  (You know.....the one You draw for me to show me what I am to do!) . 

I praise You, Lord.  Give me the favor I deserve today.  I honestly feel that breathing and living is enough......but, I will accept all You give.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray and ask You will in all I do and in all I say.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment