My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Glory of Your Plan: A Godly Mother

Lord, I wasn't sure I would write about my Mother-in-law today...I was going to wait a little bit to tell You how I feel....and to be honest with You, I'm not sure right now, how I feel. I walked
into her room there at the nursing facility, and saw the form of my husband's mother , I guess
it was two days ago. She's not there though. I've spoken to her and I see no flicker in her
countenance that she hears me or even cares that I am there. It's really too late for all of that
now. She looked to me as if she might very well be on her way to see You . I was sure I saw
what could be explained as a bit of peace on her face. I don't know Lord. We sit. We watch her
breathing. We talk of the good memories we have of her.....the ones that sort of were not so
pleasant....of her great commitment to You and any other thing that enters our mind. There are
memories we choose to keep private. Perhaps the ones where the conversation was just between us. I think I loved her right from the beginning, Lord. She was so accepting of me. I
was so unsure of everything all the time, she could have taken me out with one look.....or word.
The words were always what got us all at times. She'd say things like...." I committed that"....or
"I settled that"....or something else that (I don't know about anyone else) made me feel as if I
HAD A LONG WAY TO GO TO BE THAT KIND OF CHRISTIAN. Lord, did You use her to
make me dig a little deeper? Even though I felt annoyed at times...I did find myself digging
a little deeper to find the answers to the questions I had for You. "Is it really "wrong" to wear
slacks once in a while?" Or, the hair issues. Or , the sleeve length issue. Or wearing my
wedding ring. I found my answers to all of that surface stuff, Lord. You made me understand that
the issues of anger and jealousy, pride and a haughty spirit were some of the issues that You
felt were the areas I should work on. Thank You Lord for giving me Bessie Belle Davis. She
truly has been a wonderful gift from You. I believe Lord, as she is preparing to make her
entrance into Your kingdom, she may be taking her time so she won't fall. How many times
did we say to her...."Mom, pick up your feet....your're going to fall." (and, too often, she did....
and we would...."tsk, tsk......see, you tripped over this rug......" . You know what, Lord.....I hate
to think that all we think is "so helpful"...is not, at all.
As we await the time that You decide to usher her into Your presence.....would You give us the
peace that she feels right now.....and show us how to put into our lives the commitment to see
You one day that she has always lived before us. I praise You, Lord for this day. I pray I will
honor You. All of the memories I've spoken to You about....all of the needs of this day, I ask
all in the name and will of Jesus. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute Aunt Corrine, I too love my Granny, Bessie Bell Davis, and know that so much of who I am, from my eyes, and the eyes that have been passed down the generations to my son and grandson, to who I am inside are in a good portion...due to her influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aunt Corrine, for your willingness to post your thoughts and prayers. It is just so REAL. I love you. Amy

    ReplyDelete