My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

THANKSGIVING TRIBUTE

My thoughts are very jumbled, Lord. It's late. I should go to sleep. Yet, I know that if I don't
write tonight, tomorrow may get too busy. I wish right now that the kid's were all little, and we
could go to Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving. She could do most of the work. I'd set the table,
and we'd eat and enjoy the day! The kids would play, the men would watch football and Mom and I would clean everything up. Lord, I wish sometimes for the days that have passed. I still
cannot believe Mom and Dad are gone. I miss Dad's laughter. I miss how Mom would pull out
all the stops and make that meal just sing to us. She could really cook a good meal.....and usually
liked to do it all alone. I am sort of like that too. There were so many of those times. Lord, I
really appreciate that You gave me such good parents. I always had this connection with Dad...it
was like knowing what he was thinking. I ended up with a good bit of his personality. As a teen,
I was always annoyed with Mom about something. Lord, I wish I had been a nicer daughter. I
think that we had a tendency to rub each other the wrong way. I was so docile and apathetic to
everyone else but she and I always disagreed. I was too mouthy and I regret that. I always
thought I was a little smarter about some things. I know, Lord....I remember talking to You
about this years ago and asking you to forgive me and then asking you to talk to her for me (letting her know how sorry I felt for being a stinker). You did that for me....I needed her to know it for sure. I wish it had never been like that. I tried for many years, as I became an adult, to be a better daughter. During the time when she was incapacitated and we moved heaven and earth to attend to her needs, I know Mom was proud of me....she just never said it to me. Children live what they learn (most of the time) and, I don't imagine Mom ever heard, "Good job, Sylvia....no one can milk a cow like you can"......or whatever the task might have been. Lord, I am grateful for the fact that the parents you gave me led me into the spiritual path that I travel on today. I'm so thankful Daddy was a preacher. I always loved being "the preacher's daughter". I'm not sure
why. Probably, because any attention was some attention. Is that pathetic or what? Lord, I
walk the same path they walked until You called them to their Heavenly home....and I will
continue to do the same. I'm grateful for the churches and people they pastored because I
am the person I am today because of them all. I remember some winners. I also remember
some real losers....some who treated my Father and Mother like they were.....well, certainly
not like they were called by God to preach His word. I suppose, unless they repented, Lord....
well, here again.....this is Your call, Father. Not mine. No one really deserves Your eternal
promise and yet, here we are, sometimes pretty raggedy christians....and You save us from our
selves and love us the way we are.....hoping that You can make us into the image of Yourself.
I appreciate that You work on me....and I'm grateful for the fact that You have allowed me to
work for You in this capacity for so many years. I want my life to count for You , dear God.
Make me an instrument of Your peace. And, Lord....for this Thanksgiving Day, I want You to
be pleased with the work You have done. You have overwhelmed us with Your grace.
I speak to You Lord in the name and power of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment: