My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Saturday, June 30, 2012

"I Know What I Should Do...."

Lord, a few months ago I made a pact with a friend that we would do our devotional time with You before we got into other areas of "time consumption" on the internet or daily habits.  I think we  both have been successful.  I insist on continuing this (almost) habit.  I want my first order of the day to be  some face to face time with You.  I have entertained several good devotionals this week.  Each one speaking to the issues everyone has to deal with at some time in our lives......and/or...... over and over and over.  Slow learner?  I wish I could say I wasn't but I can't.  Dr. Phil says.....(sorry, Lord!) ......to repeat the same behavior and expect a different result is ......well, I can't remember what he says it is.  I call it "The Human Condition".......and stupid, to boot.  Lord, why can't we grow strong and effective in Your Word and stop the "Two Steps Forward and One Back" behavior?   I really think I can, Lord.  How about we start today.  Soooo......here I am, sitting on the couch  with my coffee.......writing.  There's nothing wrong with that......is there?  I love writing to You  "just about" all of the time.   I love to commune with You.  I love thanking You for the gifts You've given me.......the blessings,  some never even prayed for.  Just an overwhelming abundance of Your mercy and grace.  I am blessed.  And, I am so aware of it......I guess......most of the time.  See?  There it is.  That inner edge of sarcasm that allows a little wiggle room to think about the "What if's".  I don't like that.  It's not a blessing to have that idling around in my mind.  I am sort of wishing my mind would just shut off when I start doing that.
Everytime we stop at a red light, we have to turn the air off, otherwise the car will stall.  Sometimes we forget to turn the air back on and we are just stifling hot.....until we crank the knob to full blast!  Lord, I think I need to have this mental knob to turn off the issues that satan loves to flood the mind with.  Some are so non-sensical.....some are serious.....some are evil.  And, Lord.....since our adversary is such a stifling reality,    I have to be ready at a moments notice to speak the name of Jesus through the verses of scripture I have retained or hymns and spiritual songs that I know.  He will flee.  The engine of my soul will not sputter and quit running.  It will be smooth sailing.  Well, almost.  You know, Lord....when I am assured You are at the helm.....I have no worries.  I know You know the route You are taking me on ......and the pitfalls that could change the direction of this ship of mine.....but, I have given You permission to make the journey for me.  Sometimes I do wish You didn't allow me so much freedom.  I would probably gripe though, if You didn't.  I just am amazed at what a "slow learner" I seem to be.  Could You help me work on that?  I'd like to feel that after all You have done for me, I could bless You by assuring You that I am listening to You and working hard.  My intention is to see You Lord.  My intention is to watch You go down the list with Your finger and then stopping, looking up to see my anxious face awaiting Your nod to my name being in the Book and your affirmation to enter the gate.  Thats what my life is about.   So, I end with the resolve to make this day a special one.  One where I can worship and work at the same time......after I reheat this cup of coffe that has gotten cold.   I praise You for the power of Your Word to assure me.....and the gifted authors that write the devotionals that inspire me.  Jesus, You are the answer......and a gift.
I pray and ask for all in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment