My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Saturday, September 15, 2012

All around me is chaos.  The news of the day.  The fighting abroad.  The deaths of soldiers trying to ensure our freedoms.  The lives of some of my family.  And, some  that are about to experience sadness they have never had to endure.  Lord,  what can I do?  I've heard the classic christian response a thousand times.  "I will pray for you."  And, I recall thinking......"Really"?

 Lord, that is so cold.  I'm sorry.  It has often been an over-used, perfunctory answer for the dutiful christian.   I've said it....especially when I needed a quick get-away retort.  Lord, forgive me for ever being so unaffected by the concerns of our friends, family and acquaintances.  To mean it......now, that is a different scenario....and where I always want my allegiance to be.
I am so in need of Your mercy, Father.  I want to be Your servant.  Your emissary.  And, when I tell someone "I will pray"........I will.  I need to always be aware of how vital a mission this is.  It's not a
"way out" of a situation I find uncomfortable. 

I remember so vividly how incapable I was in the first few weeks and months of my mother's life ending stroke.  I remember how inferior I felt in having to answer question after question about life saving procedures she should have;  her prognosis;  and care that would endure until her life ended.  I knew that the fact that the people who wrote and called and visited.....and all said the same words... did say them with all sincerity;  I knew they were my life's blood at that time.  Now  years later, as I think about the events of that five year time period.......I know, and am totally convinced that I survived one of the most catastrophic events of my life.....only because someone said....."I am praying for you" and did pray for me.  Without fail.  Probably morning and evening.  And, in between time, too.   Lord, without a doubt, You placed those people there for me to depend on.  I had enough strength in the beginning to say only a few things to You.  I remember a few times that all I could utter to You, was "help!".  (I didn't capitalize it because I was using my quiet, inside voice, Lord.)  I had no strength.  I had no words.
I still can't believe You thought I was strong enough to handle all of that chaos.  I am glad, though, as I look back, that You were there for me.  Each and every minute I inwardly groaned about "how I was stuck in a situation I couldn't get out of".  I knew......without a doubt, that You were soothing my anxious, hurting heart. Those thoughts that come when its quiet....the  " No one knows...... ", " No one could understand......", "  No one cares....."   thoughts.    Those were the lies satan would throw at me.  Those hateful darts that he can throw.....with wild abandon.....and there I  sat thinking,  "Why doesn't somebody help me?"  And......Lord......that is when......someone prayed for me and I could breathe again.  You saved me from satan.  You gave me strength when I had none.  You allowed a little breath of peace to reign in my spirit.  Even if it was just for a few minutes,  it was all I needed.   And, what is so wondrous about that, is...... that you already knew that. 
You are ever interceding for me and for those I love.  You tend to us right where we are.  So, whether we are in past tense.....or present tense......I depend on the truth of Your word and Your promises to us all.

Thank You, dear One.  I love You so much.  I cannot count the ways.  I cannot count that high.
You are precious to me.  Help me to help someone today.....for Your glory.  I pray in the name and will of Jesus.  Amen.

1 comment: