My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lord, I've read so many devotionals this week and I wonder to myself......what is this supposed to teach me?  Isn't that what they are for?  To reprove us....to improve us.....to make us think?  I know you use whatever is available to get your thoughts and laws through my head.  I remember buying one of our children that picture Bible......and I'm wondering if I should go buy another one in an updated version.  I'm always saying, "I need a picture drawn for me."  It is sometimes a little disheartening when I read Your words.....and I don't understand what You are trying to tell me.  People often feel that because I am the pastor's wife....and in a leadership position that I should have some answers that are in line with Your thinking.  Often....way too often, I am wondering if I gave the wrong advice....or suggested  a too-human response in what I feel You want me or any of us to know. 
Lord, first of all.....let me assure You, I know without a doubt that You are God.
Your patience will forever amaze me.  I consider You at the helm of my ship, a
loving, concerned, faithful Captain.  And, I have the utmost respect for Your ability to do for me as no one else could.  But, secondly....I view You as my true friend.  One that will give me honor, if I deserve it......favor.....if You choose to, and discipline when I have failed to learn what You need me to know.  What I find difficult, Lord.....is sharing what You have taught me without intimating to another that...."If I can do this, you can too."  I wonder, Lord.....do I step over the line of duty when I infer this? The enemy is bound to jump on that. I need Your intervention in any words I use.  
 Is this what Amy Carmichael meant when she wrote...."If I belittle those to whom I am called to serve...talk of their weak points in contrast to what I view as my strong points.....and essentially wonder why someone "is not quite as spiritual as they could be"......then, I KNOW NOTHING OF CALVARY" ?   Jesus, Savior of the world.....help me to always be at Your feet.....  never to even suggest I have "conquered this spiritual journey" I'm on.  Save me from the wiles of satan that would ever suggest that.  That's all he needs.  I do know that when I speak to You or speak about You to someone , oftentimes I am looked at with a questioning eye.  And, of course, I know why!
I speak to You as if You are sitting in front of me, drinking a glass of water or a cup of coffee.  I speak to You as if I were in the back seat while You are driving me on my road of life , leaning forward to touch Your shoulder with my hand to make a point or to make sure I heard You correctly. 
Lord, my job is to pay attention.  My job is too follow the guidelines You set up for all of us that follow You in the scriptures.  My job is not to judge what another is doing and how they are doing it.  My hope is to be Your light in the lives of those that need me to be a light for them.  Never to overstep.  I believe You will be my encourager and my guide as I do what You lead me to.  I'd like so much to draw folks to You by my behavior.....and to never discourage.

Lord, I am quoting a special poem that I found years ago by Marjorie Holmes.  I
love what it says.....I wish I had written it.

                          "Lord, somewhere I read that when two
                           people love deeply....living together.....
                           sharing....caring....giving.....forgiving.....
                           that they begin to resemble each other.
                           Tell me, Lord.....how long will it be before
                           I look like You."

This is my prayer too.  Lord, I ask all I do, request of You, and dream of....to be done in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment