My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Forty-six Years and Counting.....

Lord, all I can say is Thank You. Foremost in my thinking this morning is telling
you how I appreciate how You rescued me and my confusion in the choice of a husband.
Mom would have preferred, Lord, that I never marry, I think (!). And, I....had no
sense at all. Why my experience was so different from everyone else's I wish I knew.
But, You know Lord...I would not change a thing. You, I believe, saw my confusion.
You were way ahead of me. You knew my wiring....You knew how I thought....You knew
what I had to deal with. When "you-know-who" appeared in my life, I realize now that
You were trying to give me what my heart so desired. Someone who would love me in a
manner that I had never even thought possible. Lord, I remember (I think) that I didn't
spend a lot of time praying about this huge decision. I believe I assumed that since
I was Your child, there would be no question. I think I always thought I would be
the wife of a Pastor. I always thought of myself as a future Pastor's wife. I also
assumed that it would be an easy decision. Lord, only You know the utter confusion
I felt. John was presented to me on a "silver platter" and I just couldn't see what
was in my hands. Parents aside, this young gentleman was determined to marry me. He
absolutely would not take "no" for an answer. He bought the engagement watch...He
asked my Father...He picked the date...and he expected I would be there! When I go
back and think about it, I do not understand what my thinking was. All I know is,
when he and I were married by my Dad and Rev.George Harris, I knew, it was alright.
I don't think anyone is as dumb as I was. I did not know that You had given me such
an unbelievable gift. One that I did not ever believe I could have. He loves me.
He thinks I am His gift from You. To have unconditional love like this is too
precious to even describe. I thank You, Lord. The date he chose 46 years ago is the
date I celebrate today. Our anniversary. Thank You, Father for the way You love me.
The way You love and protect Your children is also indescribable. I give You all the
praise that I have within me. With this gift of a husband, I have lived and experi
enced life with five children that You blessed us with. Thank You Father. Thank
You for understanding the needs of my life and heart, and providing an answer for me
that I didn't have sense enough to ask for. No one understands the way I tick but
You. And, I know that because of how You rescued me and my thought process. I praise
You. For all I enjoy and love about the man You gave me, I give You all that is
within me. I will forever be grateful for my gifts. Give me wisdom in protecting
all You have provided me.....and I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Christy Davis DivenAugust 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

    Mom, I never heard you tell that story quite like that...how neat for you to share that in a prayer. You definitely have been blessed and Grandma and Grandpa should feel very proud of the woman you have become and the wonderful family you and dad have raised together! Love, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!I'm not sure if I've ever heard the story quite like that myself! To read words like that, coming from a woman who has been married for forty-six years is truly a testiment to what God intended marriage to be. What you and daddy have had..is what I always wanted to have..I always wondered if it was possible after going thru what I did in my first marriage..Goodness the Lord had so much to teach me..He was preparing me for the man I'm married to today! A man who has shown me a love that is nothing like my heart has ever known...all while dealing with a situation that some would say is impossible. I love you mom...What a beautiful example you and dad have been to your children...and being able to say that knowing life has had its share of bringing to pass the not so easy stuff and watching "Love" bring you through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Corrine, I love you! I love the wise words you write. It was our family's blessed and lucky day when Uncle John married a woman who truly has a heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete