My Life Verse

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Thy sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Thursday, June 2, 2011

"NOW WHAT DO I DO?" (Congratulations, Dylan!)

Lord.....I don't even know where to start. I kept thinking yesterday...." If I could just access my blog post site.....I could just write this all down....." but I couldn't get to it. All of these emotions need a place to rest. Placing them at Your feet, all neatly tied up, just makes me feel better.

I remember when the time came for our eldest daughter to have her child. I remember the call pretty vividly. And, no matter how you have planned for the scenario to go....it's never quite all that cut and dried. Anyway, we had an eleven or more hours trip ahead of us when we finally got on the road. "Why didn 't we plan this differently?", we thought. We'll never get there on time....and when I found myself talking to my girl through some of her labor, I still found myself anxious and frustrated that I hadn't made another plan. Needless to say, Lord.....You and she did very well and my first grandson was born, safely and healthy. I don't even remember if we knew we were going to have a grandson or granddaughter. The only thing that really matters is if this child is going to be well and healthy......and we were blessed by that very thing. I remember jumping right in after he was allowed to leave the hospital and doing all the things grandmas do when they are there to "do the work"! It was exciting and wearisome at the same time. Newborns always change a family dynamic. They are the ones that count, after all. Thats what you have waited for and prayed for. It's all about them. And, so it was for our grandson, Dylan. What a wonderful name. We loved looking at him. We loved feeding him. We loved
thinking about what we had to do next. Mostly, his other grandma and me. Mom did a lot of sleeping and healing. Dad was doing what dads do. I was worried I would forget how to care for this little one....I was afraid I would not do the bottles right or hold him right or put him to sleep right. But....he sure cooperated with me. And, we did just fine. I think by the time it was time for me to leave....he was close to sleeping through the night. And, that made me feel like I had done my job.
As the years went by, and the distance kept us from seeing all the changes that children have as they grow up....we saw the time speeding by....and our influences in bits and pieces. Children have to be taught. They have to have boundaries. They have to have discipline. They probably could do just fine if they didn't have to TALK all the time.....BUT, that is life. "Because I said so" is not a good enough answer anymore for the most part. I remember different times when I would be able to take Dylan somewhere to buy him something.....and, a simple matchbox car or tractor would be just fine. Somewhere in that mix, he grew up and a game for his "system" was the thing he wanted most. Well, that didn't happen and I regret not being able to fork that over but a $10.00 pair of jeans at Walmart did fulfil a need.....just not his! Lord, I think we prayed as much over that grandson of ours as much as we each of our children.
Nothing in this world can prepare our children for the world like prayer can. We can buy the best. We can plan to the hilt for their future. We can cajole....micro-manage....and double-speak until the cows come home....but, when we place our precious possessions into Your hands....and put our worries and cares about their future at Your feet.....there and then is when we can rely on the peace You allow us to enjoy. No one gets that. I don't think anyone (including myself) really realizes that when we place everything we want to control into Your care.....that is when peace reigns.
Lord, today I ask that this precious child of Yours.....this grandson of mine.....would entertain the thought of placing this blank slate (called: His Life) into Your hands. Show him the gifts you have provided him....again. You already know what he loves to do the most in this world. He's maybe not quite sure yet. Show him when he is ready to see it. And, then Lord.....bombard him with all of the grace and mercy and favor you have planned for him and let it flow into his being. I want to see the wonderful things You have planned for this young man....I want to see him shine for You EXACTLY where You plan for him to shine.
I believe Lord You only plan the best for those who put their complete trust in You....and I
believe that for this special one that was given to You years ago.
Bless him and keep him and protect him and love him. We've done our best. Now, Lord.....we
ask that You would do the rest.
For all of these words to you....each one implores the name of Jesus....and the will of God.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. AC, I loved this post...especially since I am a grandmother too, and I especially loved the words about praying for my grandsons...that is so true...and when you said, "I want to see him shine for You EXACTLY where You plan for him to shine." I love that! It so speaks of your trusting God and letting his will be done.

    Congratulations to Dylan everyone who loves him.

    Love you all, Kathy

    ReplyDelete